Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The eReader Confrontation

It was my birthday last week and the hubby asked me what I wanted for a birthday present. I always try and pick something that I normally would not buy myself. Once again, the acquisition of an eReader came to mind. I tossed the idea around for a couple of days and mentally made a pros and cons list of printed books vs downloaded books. This dilemma inside my head continued for the entire week right up until the day we ventured to the mall.

We looked around at some of the latest electronics; I was also pondering an IPod to replace my MP3 player. I looked at the newest IPod Nano and quickly determined it was way too small and that reading the teeny, tiny screen was going to be a problem. I also thought the size was perfect for getting lost within the confines of my purse, car or house. I looked at other IPod type devices but had no idea what specifications were most desirable.

The hubby and I continued our search which lead us to a trendy shop that carried purses, luggage and accessories. I walked around, and a designer looking purse and matching wallet caught my eye. If my two sons had been with us, they would have rolled their eyes and asked "how many purses does one person need?!

The hubby didn't seem to question it, he was just happy that there was light at the end of the shopping tunnel for him. After careful examination of the purse and the availability of space for my ever present cell phone, I decided that it was perfect and my husband was happy to pay for it and get out of the mall.

On the way out, we went through Best Buy and stopped to check out something. From the corner of my eye, I spotted a display of eReaders. They looked really nice. I made my way over and inspected each one for size, specifications and visual appeal. Yes, I admit, I was very intrigued. I thought about it for a minute and glanced down at the new purse and wallet in the bag I was carrying. My decision had already been made so the eReader would have to wait for another gift receiving occasion.

Later that weekend, I told my nephew, Nick, about the eReaders and my indecision as to whether to get one. He wanted to know why I wouldn't get one. I thought for a minute and then it all became crystal clear: if I had an eReader, I wouldn't have an excuse to hang out at my local Chapters store and spend some quality time looking through the books. I love new books, the crisp spine and new paper smell...can't beat it!

I am satisfied that I made the right choice for my birthday gift. My new purse and matching wallet look great with the new buccaneer knee high boots I bought last month.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment